The class of drugs known as stimulants includes a number of substances ranging from illicit substances, like crack, crystal meth, and cocaine, to legal drugs like Desoxyn, Ephedrine, Adderall, Dexedrine, and Concerta. Whether an illegal drug or one that is physician-prescribed, all of these substances can have a very damaging impact on the brain and central nervous system if abused.
A doctor might prescribe a legal stimulant to boost his or her patient’s mental functioning and overall focus. However, because these drugs can be very addictive, many individuals find themselves using them outside of their intended purpose. In time, women and men who abuse stimulants will develop a tolerance to the substance, meaning that they must take larger doses and use the substance more frequently to achieve the desired effects. When this occurs, and a chemical dependency develops, individuals might find themselves grappling with the many negative effects of a substance use disorder that requires stimulant addiction treatment at a rehab center to defeat.
It takes courage to ask for help, and individuals who are grappling with the detrimental effects of a stimulant use disorder do not need to venture into a stimulant addiction treatment program by themselves. One of the first steps to obtaining sobriety is to address the presence of the harmful substances within one’s body. Without cleaning out one’s system of substances of abuse, one cannot expect to move forward with the next phases of treatment. A monitored detox program can help women and men who are dependent on stimulants to achieve sobriety in a safe manner, and lay the groundwork for a strong recovery.
What Happens During Stimulant Withdrawal
The negative physiological symptoms that take over when an individual suddenly ceases his or her recurrent stimulant use is known as withdrawal. Attempting to withstand withdrawal without assistance or supervision at a rehab center can have dangerous consequences, and often leads to a return to stimulant use in an attempt to reverse the pain of the experience. Repeating this process of failed attempts at withdrawal can cause an individual to fall deeper into his or her stimulant abuse, making it more challenging to end his or her stimulant use once and for all.
While everyone might experience withdrawal differently, there are a few typical symptoms that can occur at this time, and some of them include:
- Memory problems
- Impaired cognition
- Bodily aches and pains
- Increased appetite
For those without a personal addiction experience, it can be hard to understand why an individual would be tempted to abuse a substance during the period of withdrawal. However, the symptoms above can be so painful that even an individual who truly wants to ends the pattern of addiction might not feel powerful enough to withstand these symptoms for long. Thankfully, there is a better way that exists in the form of monitored detox programming, which allows individuals to clear their bodies of dangerous substances within a supportive, safe, and pleasing environment.
Stimulant Detoxification at The Camp Recovery Center
The high quality, medically monitored detox program we supply at our treatment center is an ideal step in the process of recovery for women and men who have been unable to stop abusing stimulants without the help of professionals at a rehab center. While under the care of a detox program staff, patients will have the access to a number of supports and benefits including the following:
- Medical intervention – When appropriate, some patients are provided with medications to help reduce the negative withdrawal symptoms they might be experiencing. These medications are strongly supervised, and are only provided by certified medical professionals.
- Minimized risk of relapse – Since detox occurs within a substance-free setting, the risk of relapse is nearly eliminated.
- Staff monitoring 24/7 – Patients are supervised consistently by understanding and experienced mental health and medical professionals that are skilled in the needs of those who are detoxing from substance abuse.
Long-Term Benefits of Detox for Stimulant Addiction
Of course there are a number of short-term advantages to clearing one’s body and mind of stimulants, however the long-term benefits of detox are what can be most beneficial in helping patients successfully defeat their battle with stimulant addiction. Some of these long-term benefits are described in the following:
- Life-long recovery. By obtaining sobriety within a supervised detox program, patients can recover the strength within their bodies and the clarity within their minds to defeat the challenges they will face during and after treatment.
- Prepare to succeed. By reducing harmful substances from one’s system, he or she is then prepared to start the next step in his or her treatment plan. Without obtaining sobriety, patients will be unable to benefit from other services that are available to them.
- Continuity of care. By partaking in a supervised detox program at a rehab center, patients can easily transition from one stage of treatment to the next.
The detox program offered at The Camp is just one aspect of our comprehensive rehab program for stimulant addiction. If you or someone you love wants to obtain more information about the support we supply to help our patients defeat a chemical dependence, we hope that you will reach out to us as soon as possible. We are conveniently located near the San Jose & Santa Cruz areas. Call us today.